Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Few Tips for Living Within Your Budget

I wanted to share a few ways that my family saves money.  They have become such a common way of life for us that I didn't even realize I was saving money while doing them until a friend asked for some tips...we were just doing our usual :) 


Make your own pizza!  Instead of ordering out and paying around $10 for one pizza, make it a family affair to make your own pizza!  For our last homemade pizzas we decided we would make them on the grill.  They came out delicious! 



To make them we used refrigerated fresh pizza dough from our grocery store, rolled it out, and stretched it into a pizza pan.  Make sure you use a decent amount of flour so the bottom doesn't stick and then brush the top with olive oil.  We then placed the entire pan on the grill for about 5 minutes until the crust hardened.  We removed the pan from the grill and spread with sauce and our toppings.  We did one plain cheese pizza and one Margherita pizza (fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, and mozzarella cheese).  Then slid them off the pan, placing the crusts directly on the grill grate, and cooked until the cheese was melted...probably about 10-15 minutes.  And that was it!

It was a lot of fun...the kids (and my entire kitchen) were covered with flour!  And we got 2 pizzas, one of which was a specialty pizza that would have been more expensive, for less than the cost of one!


Take your kids to the park! Kids absolutely LOVE going to parks...parents LOVE parks because they give them a tiny break and they're FREE! There's nothing better than getting out of the house for a little while and letting your munchkins run wild!


Cut your guy's hair!  Now this might sound a little scary, but actually it's not that bad!  Before a few month's ago I never cut anyone's hair...well except my own random stragglers here or there.  It really is pretty simple to do a guy's haircut.  My husband first asked me to cut his and after telling him he must be crazy, I thought about how easy it was.  This past weekend I did 3 haircuts!  We were having a small family barbecue and my husband decided he wanted me to cut his hair.  Then my Dad asked me to cut his and finally my Step-Dad wanted his done!  So it took about 45 minutes total, but we saved at least $45!  :)  Take a look at the video below to see how to get started.  A simple Google search will get you lots of other videos to learn from too!




Looking for other frugal tips? 
Sign up for the LearnVest Daily Email!


Delivered to you five days a week, the LearnVest Daily Email is packed with money-saving tips and financial how-tos to enrich your life. You'll discover the best places to travel on a dime, learn tips to help you build your wealth, plan the perfect dinner party for under $10 per person, understand and manage debt, and even get beauty tricks for any budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment